If it is true, (as it is,) that in men, for the sake of women (just as in women for the sake of men), there is implanted, by a defect of nature, the will to please; and if this sex of ours acknowledges to itself deceptive trickeries of form peculiarly its own—(such as) to cut the beard too sharply; to pluck it out here and there; to shave round about (the mouth); to arrange the hair, and disguise its hoariness by dyes; to remove all the incipient down all over the body; to fix (each particular hair) in its place with (some) womanly pigment; to smooth all the rest of the body by the aid of some rough powder or other: then, further, to take every opportunity for consulting the mirror; to gaze anxiously into it:— while yet, when (once) the knowledge of God has put an end to all wish to please by means of voluptuous attraction, all these things are rejected as frivolous, as hostile to modesty. For where God is, there modesty is; there is sobriety her assistant and ally. How, then, shall we practise modesty without her instrumental mean, that is, without sobriety? How, moreover, shall we bring sobriety to bear on the discharge of (the functions of) modesty, unless seriousness in appearance and in countenance, and in the general aspect of the entire man, mark our carriage?
- 101 Christian Women Speakers December 8, 2013
- Triablogue: NT cosmography December 8, 2013
- The Presurfer: 10 Amazing Innovations Of The Near Future December 8, 2013
- Vy a Duck? Vy a Snake? | An und für sich December 7, 2013
- Once again: on being unapologetically charismatic | Shored Fragments December 7, 2013
Alastair Roberts on Links 18 – 6/12/13 Alastair Roberts on Links 18 – 6/12/13 Alastair Roberts on Links 18 – 6/12/13 The Man Who Was . .… on Links 18 – 6/12/13 The Man Who Was . .… on Links 18 – 6/12/13 The Man Who Was . .… on Links 18 – 6/12/13 Alastair Roberts on Exodus Themes in Luke 9:1… Daniel on Exodus Themes in Luke 9:1… Alastair Roberts on Links 18 – 6/12/13 Matthew Petersen on Links 18 – 6/12/13
- Photoset: thirstygargoyle: Details from the rear cover of the Lindau Gospels. Gilt silver, enamel, and... tmblr.co/ZvZVHy10eywzr 10 hours ago